Sunday, June 25, 2017

Current Trends in Blended Learning

According to eschool news, blended learning has evolved and is currently experiencing five trends. They are:

  1. More student choice
  2. Digitization
  3. Personalized learning
  4. New models
  5. New technologies
The trend in more student choice through blended learning means teachers are letting go of managing curriculum and students are able to have say in their path and pace. Digitization refers to the possibility of driving down costs through digitizing materials. Personalized learning can be an outcome of blended learning by meeting the individual needs of students. The author suggests this will occur from ground up reform when parents and educators see the benefits. As teachers become more comfortable with a blended learning modality, new models are sure to emerge. Finally, improvements in technology through changes in assessment, adaptability, and engagement is on the horizon as more schools adopt the blended learning approach.

As I explored the Blended Learning Universe site, I was encouraged by watching short videos of real students sharing their success using this modality. In one instance, an 8th grader who was failing math, turned his results around using a program that is designed to reach every students. His testimonial was very positive and he was able to feel successful in math. 

In another video clip, a station rotation model proved appealing. Students rotate to 3 different stations where they are meeting with the teacher, working independently or collaboratively, and also engaging with software that allows for differentiation. The students in the video were engaged and appeared to respond well to being able to move about the classroom.

Currently, when I am teaching math, I use this model. My goal is to expand this station rotation to science next year. I am thinking about having a traditional textbook reading rotation, a computer rotation where the students have choice in Brain Pop or other bookmarked science sites or apps, and then possibly a third rotation where students are working with me in small groups applying the topic in some way...maybe through use of the scientific method. This seems feasible. I will know in September how it works with my new crop of fifth graders.

6 comments:

  1. I like this rotation model you've described. I can see that working for my Spanish classes, where they have to opportunity to practice a topic, use technology to help them and then meet with me also. I can see that being successful. You said you use this for your Math classes already, What do you find most challenging when creating this model? How do your students react? Do they enjoy it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mel, it is super easy. I plan a mini lesson for each of the four groups based on their needs. Then I have two computer rotations. One rotation they are on Dreambox which is differentiated software the county pays for. One rotation they are on math fact fluency program which is differentiated based on their current skill level. The final rotation is paper pencil spiral review or a math board game. The kids love it because they get to do different things and aren't stuck in their desks. The biggest challenge is possible noise level during the game rotation. I often have a parent volunteer for that. I also give then one warning and if they don't bring the noise level down, I have lots of other things for them to do at their desk. It usually isn't a problem.

      Delete
  2. I really like this idea of stations. I think that if you do it once or twice a week and mix it up, that's a good thing. It's also nice not to have students just sitting in their seats for hours at a time. Getting up and moving around makes a big difference to the learning process, too. Definitely let us know how it works with your 5th graders.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny that we do centers for math and reading but don't usually consider it for science or social studies! I have very limited time for the content areas because we have mandated minutes for math and reading, so I have a content center during my guided reading. I do much of the same of what you're thinking about. One week they might read the information in the textbook and the next they'll watch a BrainPop.
    If you have the time, doing science in smaller groups is genius - they get a better view for demonstration, get more opportunities to try things out on their own and have more direct feedback and resources when they have questions.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of the issues that I have with the literature on Blended Learning is that there is no clear definition among stakeholders (that's okay as long as no single person claims their definition is the right one). In addition Horn, Staker, and Christensen have characterized blended learning by very specific models. These models have been perpetuated in the literature as the main options and taught so to teachers. This stifles creation of new models or new ways to think about blended learning.
    I have sent you an article that will be published in Research Highlights 2017, an annual book of the appox. 25 innovative ideas (among approx. 350) presented at the Society of Information Technology and Teacher Education (SITE) conference.
    Hathaway, D., & Norton, P. (in press). Taking blended learning to graduate teacher education: Examining a blending strategy. In L. Liu & D. C. Gibson, (Eds.), Research highlights in technology and teacher education 2017.

    Please read this article and share your thoughts. What are your initial thoughts after reading? What insights did you gain relative to what you have been learning so far about blended learning? How might this particular strategy and blended design might be used in PK-12? Is it PK-12 friendly?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. First of all it is the first scholarly article I have actually understood without reading twice...probably because my professors wrote it and I could practically visualize you two talking about your results.

      Secondly, it made a lot of sense to me to base the modality on the activity. Often times, teachers get stuck in a scheduling rut. Let's say, we always have students read the science text at home online. Or, we always have them engage in a video game during a math rotation. This article allows me to see a better way to determine what method online vs. face to face would serve my students best based on the activity in which they are engaging.

      I found it particularly eye opening that the article encourages using different modalities across types of learning. For example, sometimes when students are synthesizing information it is better to offer an online activity, and sometimes it is advantageous to offer a face to face activity whether or not it is collaborative.

      None of the research I have found really examines blended learning from a design standpoint. It is usually explained using strict models and definitions.

      Personally, I feel this strategy of blended design will benefit me and my students. I had already begun figuring out ways to blend my instruction across more content areas next year. I was getting my mind set on a schedule like let's ask them to participate in a NOAA ocean game during an in class science rotation, but maybe not all games need to be played in class. Just maybe they can try them out at home.
      When planning for next year, I will look at each activity and determine the best modality. It will be necessary to examine my lesson designs with this mentality rather than a strict schedule mentality. Thanks for sharing.

      Delete

How Can We Get Students to Complete the Online Home Assignments?

After receiving several comments on my blog about problems arising when students don't complete online work from home, I decided to inve...