After reading this important book by Horn and Staker, I have started looking for ways to integrate more blended learning opportunities in my classroom for next year. I started by search by simply googling "blended learning" . This led me to a helpful edutopia article which provided simple considerations for implementing the blended learning model. The best advice, in my opinion, was that if traditional, direct instruction is working with a certain component or during a particular part of the day, then don't throw that out. Instead, look for areas where blended learning would meet the needs of your students better.
The edutopia article led to another source for me to explore which was in the form of a
short video clip. In this clip Dr. Charles Graham points out what he calls is the 6 P's to blended learning. They are:
- participation- everyone has the opportunity to participate which is difficult to do if in a strictly brick and mortar situation
- pacing- students can move ahead or repeat lessons at their own pace
- personalization- teachers can assign specific lessons based on digital assessments so that students are working from personalized plans
- place- blended learning allows students to work outside the classroom walls
- personal- instead of being isolated like some people may view digital learning, students can associate with each other virtually
- preparation- students and teachers can be better prepared for class by providing an online component
Currently, I use digital textbooks; however, we still read the content together. It could be advantageous to assign reading from the digital texts at home which would allow more in depth discussions at school. This would give students the time needed to really synthesize the information.
We use Dreambox during math which is an online math program which differentiates for the student. However, I also have access to educreations which is an ipad app where I can record step by step lessons for students. If I uploaded these to my web page, I could try out a flipped classroom model during different times of the year.
It is my hope that if students can work more at their pace, I can allow some to work on something like Genius Hour which would provide more time for me to work with those that may require more teacher directed instruction. One favorite quote I read from a blog by Riley Justis on the topic is, "The teacher becomes a resource rather than THE resource."

I saw an interesting session at VSTE where the teacher did an "in class flip." She used the arrival time to have students watch the lessons (or read the textbook in your case) and then was able to do more hands on applications later during the regular block. My worry with flipped learning is the assumption that each family has access. Our county has more access than most, but it is still a consideration.
ReplyDeleteGood point about access Alissa. I had the same thought about doing this as morning work but my students all arrive at such different times that I couldn't really expect some of them to get this done before instruction starts for the day. Any thoughts on incorporating this into more of a stations/rotations model? I like your idea of using Educreations to facilitate this Jen!
DeleteEven more than access issues with my students, I do worry about too much online time. For instance, we already due online math homework using IXL. I'm going to have to be really careful about this.
ReplyDeleteThat is one of the big issues that my book tackles...if we are okay with our brains changing due to information overload, then by all means, post everything online. But there are certain sacrifices that are made with that way of thinking.
DeleteOne way I tackle the issue as a German teacher is to provide the most important information to my students when they are with me in class. I challenge them to spend every minute that they have with me with their best "game day" focus. I then offer supplemental, extension materials for them online (fun videos, a listening or reading activity) via Google Classroom and Quizlet that they can do to earn points towards our classroom economy.
I've also been known to assign "homework" during which students must play outside for an hour and then bring in a note from home as proof. German children are expected to play outside a lot, so it's a fun cultural connection.
I love how you suggested looking for specific times of our day that would benefit from this type of learning. I think, too often, teachers hear about a new way of doing something and get so overwhelmed with the thought that we don't bother trying. If we can focus on implementing a new method in just one small area and growing in that way, I think we would eventually start to see great changes in education--seemingly unrealistic dreams could become reality.
ReplyDeleteI'll probably ask you about Educreations tonight - I'm always looking for things to introduce to the teachers in my school. I would say for our population of students at my school access at home would be the challenge for most, not all but I bet a good bit. My own children have IXL homework over the summer, they and I hate the format of when you get one wrong you drop-back, I wish it would just add one more question without dropping their 'score'. After much consternation and protesting I flippantly replied 'How hard can it be, you just keep going?' Then I went through an IXL section and I was as stressed as they were when I happened to get one wrong and saw the score drop. Several I thought were worded incorrectly - or you could read more than one way and my level of frustration at the fairness of the scoring was as high as my children. So now we tell them not to stress and to do it for a certain amount of time regardless if they get to 100 or not, otherwise they're pulling their hair out and slamming the mouse, alright... it's not that bad but you get the picture.
ReplyDelete